If you’re thinking about making improvements to your home, you’re probably wondering whether you need an architect. The truth is, there’s no law stating that you have to hire an architect for your project, so it’s up to you.
One thing to bear in mind is that hiring an architect will increase the cost of your building works, but you’re also more likely to increase the quality of the work you have done.
So how can you decide whether you need an architect? There are some things to keep in mind that will help you come to a decision.
Lots of experts say that as a general rule, if you need planning permission, you probably need an architect. This is because projects that require planning permission are more complex, so could do with the expertise of an architect.
If you’re stuck for ideas
If you know you want an extension or other project but you don’t know how to make your dreams come to life, an architect can help you put plans together and advise on the best way to use the space.
If you won’t be around much
Hiring an architect can be a good idea if you won’t be able to oversee the project that much or if you’re inexperienced in home renovation. An architect can oversee your entire project so you don’t need to worry about the builders when you’re not there.
An architect will be able to guide you through the planning permission process and offer general advice from their years of experience.
Advantages of hiring an architect
- Architects will be able to make the best use of the space you have as they have had extensive training
- An architect will be able to offer you advice on hiring builders and can manage your entire project from beginning to end
- Most of the time you will end up with a higher quality finish if you hire an architect
- Architects must follow a code of practice, and they may only call themselves an architect if they are registered with the Architects Registration Board (ARB)
Disadvantages to hiring an architect
There are some disadvantages to hiring an architect, but most of the issues can be prevented and dealt with:
- Architects’ fees are usually about 15% of the project, but can be as high as 20%. Bear in mind they can save you money on large projects as it never pays to try to cut corners
- Sometimes architects can push you to do things you don’t really want to, but this can be avoided by keeping a good relationship and dialogue with them
- It can sometimes feel like an architect gets in the way if you are working on a small project with a builder you trust
If you’re not sure whether you need an architect, it’s probably worth looking at your budget and getting some quotes to see what they can offer you. With Quotatis, you can get free no-obligation quotes, so there’s no harm in you seeing whether an architect could help you get the most out of your project.
Just fill in the form below and we’ll put you in touch with up to 4 qualified architects.